About the client
Our client is world renown leader in the design, development manufacture and support of systems for the Australian Defence Force.
About the role
The Head of Programs (HoP) is responsible to the Chief Operating Officer for the conduct and performance of the Project Group. The HoP is responsible for the ongoing development and oversight of project management practices within the company and the coordination and execution of designated Project activities.
The HoP is responsible for the management and deployment of staff assigned to the Project function. The HoP is a Senior Management position within the company and represents the Project Group on the Management Team.
- Day to day management of the Project Group as required to progress projects and to
- deliver products and services in a timely, professional and commercially viable manner.
- Ensure that appropriate Project Management principles are applied to all projects and
- that the necessary plans, schedules and budgets are established and managed
- according to the Company's project management practices and methodologies.
- Retain oversight of all project activities including the consolidation of Project Status
- Reports for Executive Management and assuming Project Management and/or Project
- Assurance responsibilities for designated projects.
- Liaise with customers at relevant and appropriate levels in relation to project progress,
- performance and alteration where necessary.
- Establishment and further development of Project Management practices and
- methodologies, ensuring they remain appropriate and relevant to evolving needs and
- Standardisation of tools and methods to support project reporting and planning activities.
- Work together with the Chief Technical Officer / Engineering Managers to ensure
- appropriate planning and assignment of Company engineering and support resources
- for project needs and for longer term objectives such as staff growth and the key staff
- backup plan.
- Work together with the Financial Controller to integrate the Company's project and
- financial reporting processes where practical.
- Responsible for the management of personnel in the Project Group including resource
- planning, recruitment, mentoring, performance appraisal, staff development and career
- Assist Executive Management with the preparation, revision and monitoring of the
- business strategy.
- Coordinate and/or assist with the preparation of bids and offers.
- Other tasks as directed by the Executive Management.
Skills and experience:
- A current Defence Security Clearance at a minimum level of NV1
- Project Management or other relevant Post Graduate qualifications.
- 12+ years Project Management experience, of which at least 5 years should be in a
- senior role. Defence Project Management experience desirable but not essential.
- An Engineering/Technical degree in an appropriate discipline and at least 5 years
- experience in an engineering role.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Product Lifecycle as it applies to electronic systems,
- particularly systems containing both Hardware and Software.
- Successful track record of managing product development projects.
- Sound understanding of general business principals and the interrelationship between
- Project performance and Company Financial result.
- Sound understanding of HR management principles.
- Proven ability to effectively time manage.
- Eligibility for a Defence Security Clearance to NV1 (SECRET).
- Excellent analytical/problem solving skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products.
- Current Driver's licence.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours.
- Preparedness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary to support business
- Senior Management Position
- Technically diverse role
- Opportunity for international travel
- Free on-site parking and close to public transport
- Sink your teeth into the latest maritime defence projects
- Flexibility for work life balance
Kinexus is the leading recruitment partner to the Defence Industry in Australia. We support our community in making intelligent connections and create opportunities to help them grow their careers.
To apply, please click on the application button and attach your resume as a word document. Alternatively, contact Shane Curtis on 02 9492 7509. #LI-Shane
Visit www.kinexus.com.au to view more jobs.