Safety Officer - Defence Naval - Sydney
About the opportunity
The client are a well known company working predominantly within the repair, refit and maintenance of ships both within Australia and overseas. Due to extensions on their major projects with the CoA, my client are now seeking the services of a full time and permanent Safety Officer to work out of their head office in Garden Island, Sydney.
Purpose of the position
The Safety Officer is responsible for monitoring and assessing hazardous and unsafe situations and developing measures to assure personnel safety. The Safety Officer will correct unsafe acts or conditions through the regular line of authority, although the Safety Officer may exercise emergency authority to prevent or stop unsafe acts when immediate action is required.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist in the development and implementation of safety systems.
- Ensure subcontractors are engaged and managed to comply with all WHSSEQ requirements.
- Provide advice, information and instruction on safety issues.
- Assist in the application of safety procedures, including managing risks and hazards in the workplace.
- Report and investigate incidents, injuries and hazards and implement agreed control measures.
- Review and analyse injury and incident reports and data.
- Assist in the development of injury and incident prevention strategies.
- Monitor compliance with safety policy and procedures.
- Audit safety compliance with regard to risk, emergency and hazardous waste management.
- Review the Incident Action Plan for safety implications.
- Investigate accidents that have occurred within the workplace.
- Draft emergency response safety plan.
- Proactively implement risk mitigation strategies.
- Assist in Workers compensation, return to work and injury management.
- Any other duties as reasonably required.
Academic & Trades Qualifications
- Certificate IV Work Health & Safety.
- Proven experience working in an engineering and maintenance environment, particularly in commercial ship repair or Defence, construction, oil and gas/resources or a related industry.
- Intermediate computing skills with experience in the use of software systems such as Microsoft Office Suite.
Work Experience & Skills
- Periodically inspecting hazard, incident and injury reports, investigating where appropriate, and taking appropriate action to achieve safe working and prevent recurrences.
- Review of Safe Work Method Statements.
- Assist with a management systems approach to safety and health within all areas of the business.
- Maintains awareness of active and developing situations.
- Ensure the Site Safety and Health Plan is prepared and implemented.
- Ensure there are safety messages in each Incident Action Plan.
- Exercise emergency authority to prevent or stop unsafe acts.
- Specialist advisory capabilities regarding HSE issues and legislative compliance.
- Familiarising themselves with applicable statutory regulations, policies and procedures and informing senior management where compliance is not being met.
- Discussing potentially hazardous processes and operations with employees and visitors and obtaining their co-operation in reducing hazards.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work, I am only able to accept applications from Australian citizens. The role is available immediately for the right person so get in touch NOW.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link below and attach your resume as a word document. Alternatively, please contact Pritam Bhuyan on 02 9492 7526 quoting the Job Title for this position.
Visit www.kinexus.com.au to view more jobs.