As a part of our annual Salary Survey we asked respondents how the COVID-19 crisis has affected them. We had over 800 responses, which we have summarised below, with a couple of notable observations.
Figure 1 depicts the respondent’s perception of job security due to COVID 19. Overall, 70% of the workforce indicated they felt no change in their job security, with 21% reporting their job now felt less secure.
Figure 2 depicts a breakdown of the same question by job field. People working in an ICT role reported feeling the most insecure about their job.
- The less time spent in the Defence Industry, the more insecure about their job role. 36% of respondents with less than three years of experience in Defence Industry.
- 41% of people working as a contractor in an ICT role reported feeling less secure about their job as a result of COVID-19.
- People living in South Australia were the least worried about a negative effect on their job security, with only 13% reporting they felt their jobs were less secure.
- The category ‘Other’ included responses such as redundancy, stood down without pay, retired, reduction in salary and cancelled projects.
- 11% of the people working in the ICT or Cyber sector of Defence reported Other, with their answer involving being made redundant or stood down. They were all based in Victoria or ACT.
Volatility of the Job Market
- 18% of respondents who work in an ICT role reported that they thought it was less risky to look for a new job in the next 6 months.
- 80% of respondents with less than 5 years of experience in Defence Industry reported that they thought it was more risky.
- The option of ‘Other’ allowed people to specify a response. Some responses asked for higher remuneration packages, contracts for a minimum length of time, employer-provided home office equipment like ergonomic chairs and stand-up desks, moral leadership, long notice periods, written contract guarantees of work and permanent work over contracting. One respondent remarked that they would judge a company based on the actions they have taken to protect their employees during COVID19.